Friday, February 25, 2011

Supersize it!

The other day I had to run to McDonald's to pick up lunch for my dad and sisters.  As a weight watcher I of course could have enjoyed hot, salty french fries as long as I accounted for it; however, I didn't because I already had plans to go out for sushi with a friend of mine.  While waiting in line I began to think back to times before I was a Weight Watcher and how much friggin food I ate.  When at Mickey Dee's I would always get the 10 piece chicken nugget with a large french fries and on a good day a vanilla milkshake (I love to dip my salty french fries into my sweet milkshake).  Now if I was to order from the drive through I would most likely get a happy meal which comes with four chicken nuggets and a small french fries.  I know they have done away with the Supersize me option, but how much has the portion sizes really changed?  In comparison to other countries our "small" size soda is comparable to their "medium" or even "large" sizes.  And something I learned in health class that I will never forget is the fact that a children's meal from McDonald's is an adults serving size for the type of food being served.  We are feeding the youth of our nation adult serving sizes!!!  Who can really be blamed for this though?  On the radio, the hosts were saying a McDonald's in California was not allowed to give out toys in their Happy Meals anymore.  How many parents truly allow their children to eat McDonald's just because of a toy?  Or is it the convenience of the drive thru?  Can McDonald's really be blamed for the obesity of children in this country or is that parents of this country have become lazy in their parenting?  I cannot judge anyone for the way they parent because a. I have no kids of my own b. I let my sisters get away with everything!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment